Categorized | Breaking News

Can’t file taxes on time? Get an extension

Taxpayers who are unable to finish and file their tax by the April 18 deadline can request an extension of time to file, using Form 4868. The extension gives them until Oct. 17 to submit their tax returns to the IRS, which expects to received about 10 million extension requests this year.

Taxpayers can electronically file Form 4868 through IRS Free File or Free File Fillable Forms. Using Free File to prepare and electronically submit Form 4868 is free to everyone, regardless of income. Paid preparers can also electronically file Form 4868 as can tax software that you run on your computer.

Finally, a paper version of Form 4868 is available for download from

Requesting an extension requires estimating tax liability and paying any balance-due by the April 18 deadline.

Leave a Reply