CATEGORIES

Categorized | Breaking News

Free training available on COBRA requirements

Confused about changes in COBRA and how they affect you? The Department of Labor is offering free compliance workshops, seminars, and Web casts to clear up the confusion. COBRA is a continuation of healthcare benefits to terminated or laid-off employees in companies having 20 or more employees.

The newly passed American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) provides for premium reductions and additional election opportunities for health benefits under COBRA. Employees terminated or laid off during the period beginning September 1, 2008 and ending December 31, 2009 are eligible to pay only 35 percent of their COBRA premiums and the remaining 65 percent is reimbursed to the coverage provider through a tax credit.

For more information the Department of Labor provides details on the new COBRA provision, including model notices for employers, FAQs, and free compliance workshops and seminars. Visit the Employee Benefits Security Administration to find additional employee benefits information including free compliance workshops and seminars. Source: U.S Department of Labor


Leave a Reply